Check status
Vietnam Visa ×
Support 8:00 - 22:00 (GMT+7)

Working in Vietnam – Two points foreigners should notice

July 07, 2014

It is clear that the number of foreigners working in Vietnam is increasing sharply. In 2012, it is about 88,000 which are larger than the last 3 years which it reached only 55,000 foreigner employees. The high trend of drawing many foreigners to work in Vietnam reinforces both foreigners and Vietnam companies being aware of two core issues as follows.

1. As foreigners, of course, they need to have Vietnam visa

Before deciding to work in Vietnam, you should find information about how to apply Vietnam visa. Actually, most citizens can apply Vietnam visa simply, both visa on arrival and visa at Embassy. Be noted that some nationalities need more documents to get Vietnam visa. Even in some cases, you should ask the support from your company in Vietnam to guarantee your stay. Kindly contact some reputation websites like, or Vietnam Embassy in your country for more details.

2. How to get Work Permit

A foreigner is required to own a Vietnam Work Permit once he/she is working for more than 3 months. It is good for you to ask your company to submit your work permit profile to the Department of Labor, War Invalids, and Social Affairs (DOLISA). Normally the necessary requirement to run work permit is the copy of written labor contract signed by both the employer and the foreigner. Therefore, remember to sign a clear contract to work legally in Vietnam.

For some cases, you do not need work permit:

+ A member or owner of a limited liability company or a member of the board of management of a shareholding company
+ A person offering services to practice law, under a professional license issued by the Ministry of Justice
+ A Chief Representative Officer, Chief Project Officer, or representative of a foreign nongovernmental organization for its operation in Vietnam
+ An internal transferee of a company that engages in one of 11 service sectors as stated in Vietnam’s WTO service commitments
+ A person providing professional and technical consultancy service or conducting other missions serving for the implementation, evaluation, and supervision of Official Development Aid programs or projects according to the agreements signed between foreign parties and the Vietnamese Government
+ A person permitted by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs to conduct media activities in Vietnam. Other circumstances as stipulated by the Prime Minister