If you are an American citizen and intend to stay in Vietnam in 30 days, a visa is required for your trip.
Recently, there are 3 ways to apply for a Vietnam visa for American citizens, and every method has its own advantages and disadvantages.
You can find the best way for you to get a visa and enjoy your journey in Vietnam, a charming country
1. Get a Vietnam visa on arrival at the airport
It is the most common method chosen by travellers when they fly to Vietnam
Benefits of on-arrival visas:
- The first advantage is convenience. With a visa letter, every American citizen can apply for a visa immediately when they arrive at Vietnam international airports. By this, you do not have to come to the Vietnam Embassy to receive the visa, which will save you time and money.
- Secondly, a visa on arrival has a high level of identity security due to the fact that you should not show any document to the Immigration Department. The only thing that you have to do is to fill in the blank, thencomplete an online payment.
- However, a visa on arrival is available only for those who came to Vietnam by air. In this case, if you decided to travel to Vietnam by road or by sea, you will have to obtain the visa in person at the Embassy of Vietnam.
- Another disadvantage of this method is that stamping a visa might take time and the applicant may need to queue for a long period at the Vietnam airport. (Usually, it takes 10 – 30 minutes)
2. Obtain a visa at the Vietnam Embassy in the USA
Advantages of getting a visa at the Embassy of Vietnam:
- One of the first benefits is you will already have a stamp in your passport before you go on a trip by a direct transaction with the Vietnam Embassy.
- Even so, this kind of visa has one drawback. Your personal information must be submitted to the embassy and it will take at least 5 days to receive a visa stamp.
- Although obtaining a visa at the embassy is considered a benefit at first, it might be tough for those who live far from the Embassy of Vietnam.
Click on the link below to find the nearest embassy office/consulate of Vietnam: https://www.vietnamvisa.org.vn/requirements/united-states/
3. E-visa (Apply for a Vietnam visa online)
Benefits of Vietnam e-Visa:
- American citizens can easily get an e-Visa as long as they have an internet connection on a smartphone, laptop, PC, or tablet. E-visa will definitely save you time and money.
- In addition, your personal information would be seen online. As a result, you do not have to meet face-to-face with the Immigration Department staff.
- Nethereless, e-Visa allows American citizens to stay in Vietnam for 30 days and for travel purposes only. You will not waste up to 3 working days to know if your Vietnam visa application is accepted or not.
- Especially if there is any problems and you want to contact for support, it will take more time to receive feedback from the Immigration Department of Vietnam.
- Additionally, some airlines may not be aware of or not used to working with e-Visas. As a consequence, you would be refused at the exit of the country. In this case,please check in advance with your airlines to prevent an unpleasant situation.
And last but not least, every method to obtain a visa has its own benefits and drawbacks. We hope that you could make your own decision and choose the best way to apply for your visa with this post.